Get Your LiLash!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Can I Cut My Dreadlocks? Can I Wash My Dreads?

cut dreadlocksQuick question. Can I cut my dreads if they happen to be too long? If so, how would I go about doing it so they stay intact?
I would strongly suggest against cutting our dreadlocks. It's better to have them made the length you need them in the first place. So, hopefully, the dreads will be the right length. Next time, just be really specific if you know the exactly length. A lot of times people will give a range and really don't want the dreads so precise while other times people give exactly lengths.

dreadlocks
If the dreads are several inches too long, I suppose you could cut them at the top where you would put them on the scalp. I've never done this and, again, I do not recommend this but if you absolutely feel like you must then I suppose this would be my thought on the matter. Perhaps cutting the dread at an angle be better than a blunt cut for the purposes of attaching the dread to the head after the cut. I would reseal the dread.

Sealing the dread helps to keep it from untangling or from falling apart. Our dreads are tightly backcombed and are all sealed before sent out so people don't have problems with them falling apart. In fact, our dreads tend to get tighter over time. That being said, your dreads will be new and will not have had the opportunity to tighten more, so resealing them might be helpful.


dreads
To reseal the dreads just take the end that you cut and place it in boiling water. Just the very end needs to be reboiled - perhaps an inch or so? After the resealed end of the dread has dried, I would suggest taking thread that is the same color of as the dread and wrapping the area that you cut. If you don't want to wait until the dread is dry then blow dry the end of the dread with a normal hair blow dryer.

dreadlocks
Assuming you've cut the dread at an angle, it seems likely that you could attach the angled end to your hair directly with the thread - just tie the end of the dread onto your hair as you would if there were a loop. If the resealed dread doesn't look like it will come apart then you might not feel the need to wrap it in thread. Or, you might feel that only a quarter inch needs to be wrapped in thread to re-enforce and protect it.

dreads
Again, I do not recommend cutting our dreads (even though our dreads are probably some of the strongest dreads out there). If you do this and you ruin the dreads then this is a choice you are making for yourself and not one that we will feel an responsibility for... Hopefully, the dreads will be a workable length for you. If not, let me know how this option works out for you.

Luckily, I did send you a couple extra dreads which will give you something to experiment on first. You
dreadlocks
could try it on one dread first. If it doesn't seem to work, just don't do it on the other dreads and then you'll still have a full set of dreads.

Another option that I don't recommend or endorse is burning the end of the dread. This will discolor the dread and turn the end dark. For your darker dreads this probably wouldn't be an issue. Although, the burnt bottom of the dread might show on the red pepper and lilac purple dreads.

Again, let me know what you try and how it ends up working for you.


dreadlocks
What care info would you suggest for my dreads once I have them put in?
Both Sophie and I leave our dreads in for months at a time - until the hair has grown too long and so we need to take them out then put them back in again. Are you planning on taking your dreads out on a regular basis or attaching them on a more permanent basis?

If the dreads are left in your head then just shampoo them with the rest of your hair. If you use a bobby pin or the equivalent so the dreads come out at the end of the day then just wash them with your regular shampoo in the sink.

...thanks a heap! I love this business you have going. It feels more intimate and like you have the best interest of your customer in mind... champion :)
Thanks much! We love making dreads and doing our part in making the world a more beautiful and colorful place for all of us!

Best,

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment