Get Your LiLash!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dread Questions for the Newbie

girl dreadlocks
Hello!

Hi Ell!


I never had dreads before and i need to ask a few questions, so I'd appreciate if you answer.

Sounds good! I'll do my best to answer your questions as effectively as I can!


I have attatched a photo of my hair length right now, How many dreads will i need to make like a streaked kind of look?

Love the photo!

I'm guessing you mean that you want the dreads placed intermingled and randomly throughout your hair. If that be the case, I'd guess you'd want between 30-40 single-ended dreads.


I don't want a full head of dreads. I want them to look evenly placed out in my hair if that
makes sense...

Yeah! I think I got it! Totally makes sense and sounds cool!


Does it?

Yup! Totally makes sense. :-)


Or do you think that will go horribly wrong?

No, I don't think it would go horribly wrong as far as how it would look. I think it would look absolutely fantastic. Sophie has a friend who did exactly what you are describing and it seemed to work fine for her. The pictures are of that girl's half dread/half hair look. Although I didn't do her hair, I believe she had dreads, braids and loose hair, as well.


I think i might actually go for a half head look,
make the dreads longer than my actual hair length too. What do you think?

I'm not sure how it would look with the dreads longer than your real hair. That's up to you. Personally, I can't envision it. I would opt for the dreads the same approximate length as your hair. But you should do whatever makes you most comfortable and what you would like to wear. It's your hairstyle!


Also, single end or double end?

I would suggest single-ended but either would work fine.


Which ones are better? And how can i attatch them?

Both single-ended dreads and double-ended dreads are great. It just depends on preference and/or purpose. Double-ended dreadlocks are easier and quicker to put in. But if you plan on leaving the dreads in for a while then single-ended dreadlocks will last longer before you need to take them out and put them back in. Also, if you decide that it is hard to wash your hair and dreads at the same time and want to be able to take the dreads out before washing your hair and then easily put the dreadlocks back in you might want to attach bobby pins to the single-ended dreads. For your purposes, single-ended dreads just seem a little more versatile. But both would work fine. Bobby pins could be attached to double-ended dreadlocks as well.


Sorry for all the silly questions but im really interested in this and I'd love to get some dreads.

No problem at all. It's important that you ask the questions you need the answers to so that you can get the right set of dreads for your personal style!

I'd appreciate a reply, thank you!

Ell

My pleasure. I'll send you an invoice. If that works for you just let me know the color(s) you want if different than the hair color in the photo, or if you have any other questions.

Best,

Christine

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for answering the email! It's amazing that you gve individual attention and shows that you care about the customers and the service you give them!
    Insight be dying my hair dark brown before installing the dreads so I don't have to stay dying it and hasslingthroughout the winter. So can you tell me whereby can find Pictures of your dark brown and auburn dreads? I'd appreciate it if you could!
    Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure! Sounds good with the dye job. Just know that you can't dye your hair while the dreads are in. That being said, the dreads need to be reattached once the roots have grown out, so that might be the perfect time to re-dye the hair, as well. The chemicals from the dye destroy the synthetic hair - as in, literally melts it!

    If you are looking for pictures of the dreads you would be buying, there are none. We make each set of dreads as they are ordered. Therefore, we would make your dreads specifically for you. All the pictures of our dreads on the site and blog were taken after we made them, not before. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete